Sunday, January 31, 2016

National Inspire Your Heart with the Arts Day


National Inspire Your Heart with the Arts Day

What a great day!  I do hope that most people are inspired by the arts more frequently than once a year; however, this is a good place to start for beginning arts-lovers.

The arts have always been an important part of my life.  I grew up surrounded by music and art.  Throughout my childhood, playing the piano was one of the most important aspects of my life and led to me studying music in undergrad.  There were often various art projects going on in the home, so our house wasn't always the tidiest place in the world.  

Reading is another of the arts that is a daily part of my life.  I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading numerous books at the same time.  I was an early adopter of the Kindle, mainly because I immediately saw that this would make packing for trips so much easier -- no more contemplating which books to pack or how many would be needed for the trip!  

Drama is another of the arts that I have always enjoyed -- whether acting in school productions or going to the theater.  Movies of all genres are also a regular part of my life.  


In high school, I was introduced to Andy Warhol's art and became completely obsessed with his art, his world and his lifestyle.  His life seemed to be the complete opposite of one lived by a midwestern small town girl and appeared glamorous and exotic.  

The above is a homage to Warhol, using an Absolute Vodka limited edition bottle as the base.  The tulips are crocheted and keep their form through wiring.  I chose flowers and the bright colors because they are reminiscent of Warhol's flower series.  

I can't imagine a life without the Arts.  It's troubling when I hear of school cutting out creative programs, often to funnel money to sports.  Sports are also important, but should never overshadow the arts.  I also believe that creative programs reach a broader group of kids and teach skills that can be used for a lifetime.  


No comments:

Post a Comment