Thursday, February 18, 2016

Cow Milked While Flying in an Airplane Day


Cow Milked While Flying in an Airplane Day

This is a true story.  And it happened in Missouri in 1930.  

Elm Farm Ollie -- nicknamed Nellie Jay and Sky Queen -- had the honor of being the first cow to fly in an airplane.  This Guernsey cow traveled from Bismark to St. Louis in order to attend the International Air Exposition.  During the trip, someone milked her for several reasons.  She needed to be milked three times a day.  Scientists thought something might happen.  It was great publicity.

The very strange publicity tie-in idea was to put the milk the Sky Queen produced in-flight and parachute it down to spectators.  Sky Mail!



In other news on this day, I learned a new crochet technique, the Foundation Single Crochet.  This stitch allows your to do the foundation chain and the first row of single crochet at the same time.  The end result is that the edge is stretchier and should be easier to attach to other pieces.

I can usually read about the steps of a stitch and figure out the technique without the use of a video, but I had to turn to YouTube this time.  The issue is that I'm left-handed, so I can't always immediately process the reverse of pictures when I don't really know what to expect.  Fortunately, the video helped clear out the final step and I was on my way crocheting a block for the UK Groovyghan CAL (yes, I caved and am making this afghan too.  It's going to be all shades of green with some neutrals thrown in and really will be a groovy throw-back afghan).






No comments:

Post a Comment