Friday, February 12, 2016

Lincoln's Birthday and National Lost Penny Day



Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln!

Born in 1809, President Abe Lincoln turned out to be one of the most influential presidents of the United States.  Looking back at his political and social stances, it's impressive how forward-thinking he was and how he was not afraid to take a stand for what is right and just.  Imagine what more he could have accomplished had his life not been cut short.  

National Lost Penny Day

It is amusing that the founder of National Lost Penny Day, Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith, created the day to be celebrated on Lincoln's birthday.  Lincoln's image was first placed on the penny on the 100th anniversary of his birth.  

The intent of the day is commendable - find those lost pennies and go do some good with them.  Unfortunately, I doubt many people want to carry around a large bag of pennies.  If they did, I have a feeling even fewer shop owners of coffee shops would appreciate being paid with pennies.  Thank goodness for CoinStar!

I am horrible with change and have long advocated for rounding everything up to the nearest quarter.  Since that's the case, I have several containers of change that need to be converted to cash or gift cards. The last time I took a bag of change to be counted, I ended up with over $100.  

Proud Peacock Tea Cozy 



The Proud Peacock tea cozy is now complete.  I'm very happy with the results.  As with most of my creations, I would happily keep this for myself, but I'm putting it up for sale on Etsy.  I hope it finds a good home soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment